Tuesday, February 08, 2005

A walk to Remember

I had the opportunity to go for a short mission trip at Gopeng, Perak. There were 12 of us in the team. We were all so excited to see what God has in plan and what we have been called to do at that place. The moment we arrived, we were so amazed to catch sight of the village. It was so beautiful, equipped wonderfully with God’s creation all around them. The condition was far better than the one I went for two years ago. The people greeted us warmly with wide open arms. The little children were filled with curiosity, a sense of shyness within when they first saw us. It took them, let’s see…a few minutes to get over that fear and shyness when we started to play some outdoor games with them. Later in the evening, Su May taught the lil girls some DIY accessories; a hairclip, bracelet and a ring. The accessories were pinky sweet, extremely appropriate for all these princesses. Some of the younger ones gave up halfway through the making because they were exausted. Should have seen the looks on their faces! Tired... but excited to see the end product.

Hosted by Photobucket.com

Both Hui Shan and I helped out with the younger girls. It taught us lotsa patience that even I was tired after handling a couple of those bracelets! haha….The older women on the other hand prepared a feast for us at dinner. They prepared another meal for us before the night worship and another one when it was over. It was simply amazing to see how they have truly served us with their very best. Night worship totally blew me away. The people had so much of vibe and zeal in their praises especially hearing upon those angelic voices coming out from the lil ones. And this is what I would call,
‘Praise and Worship!!’
It was one of the simplest worship sessions I’ve been with only a guitar but yet, magnificent because it had such purity and humbleness in it. After the night worship, we had a good time with the
children, singing and dancing together.

Hosted by Photobucket.com

I could only imagine how the children must have felt at that time when they surrounded Jesus as He placed His hands and prayed on them. “ Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these” Matt 19:14.

When I started to preview the pictures that I took on my camera, they were so excited that I almost got knocked off to the ground. Some of them were clinging on to my back. I had a good laugh to just witnessed their enthusiasm. I’m sure Jesus had a good laugh with these little angels too. Through observation by spending time with these kids, I began to ponder upon Matthew 18: 3 where Jesus was asking His disciple who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And He replied “ I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” These children that I’ve been playing with for the past two days had such simplicity, purity in their hearts and out of it were overflowing joy and laughter. We should have the same fascination and curiosity in our walk with Jesus, in His word and promises. The very same way how these kids reacted when they first saw my camera. The trust they had when I placed them in my arms, and carried them…. I remembered holding on to one of the little girl’s hand. All I did was to reach out my hand and she simply placed her hand in mine as I lead her on that road. Are we placing our trust in God in the same way? Do we still experience that first love, that thirst and longing to be in His presence all the time? The little kids at that village have chosen to spend time with us and we enjoyed their company so much that it was quite sad when we had to say goodbye at the end of the day. To sum up the whole experience together, I would like to quote down what my friend had just said to me when he returned home from the trip.

‘Beneath the paradise, there’s a load of burden,
yet beneath that is …..HEAVEN’
-ernie-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home