Monday, July 17, 2006

amazed

The past week has been quite an exciting, fullfilling one. The weekend itself ended up so well, more than I've expected.
Saturday was the peak where my housemate and I decided that we wanted to go for the ministry outreach at church. I was so eager to do this car wash thing while my housemate wanted to be behind the coffee machine, serving coffees. But what ya know, neither of us ended up doing that. They needed people to go out to the street to ask if any would want their cars to be washed for free. Both of us took up the challenge although we were not too sure how things were going to be like. On the physical side of things, it wasn't that positive. It was a cold, cloudly early morning and it started to drizzle the minute we arrived at church. The first 20 minutes or so were rather dissapointing.
After being turned down many many times, we decided to target a different street. We stood near an open market and gave it a shot, lifting up our hopes in strength and determination. Once again, the feedbacks were negative. Despite of all that, we chose to stand firm and believe that we will not go back home empty handed. After an hour and a half or so, I managed to persuade this man for his car to be washed. I agreed to wait for him as he wanted to get some stuff from the market first. Wasn't sure if he would return to me or he would just run off with his car later... I still choose to believe and stood patiently in front of his car. As I was waiting, soaked under the rain with the last flyer in my hand, I prayed a simple prayer asking God to lead me to someone who truly needs a car wash. Found myself paying attentively to each single person who walked past me. Took me quite a while where my eyes caught glimpse of this lady across the road who seemed to be struggling with her bags of grocery. I went up to her and offered help. She smiled back and said that it wasn't necessary. Had a short conversation with her and I ended up asking her if she needed a car wash. And to my amazement, she said YES in delightment. I stood there smiling with a YES and AMEN. Directed her to our church basement to have her car washed. Came back later to the place where I was standing before.
Eventually, the man came back from the market and agreed to go with me to church. While his car was being washed, we managed to spark up a conversation. He's a Greek...*hmmm, reminded me of my boss..
It was quite an interesting conversation about his family, life...then slowly moving on to religion, jews, greek methology. At that moment, I wished I could have read more on such things to be able to speak more and challenged him on the things that I didn't quite agreed with.

Once again, another 'aha' moment strucked me on that very morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home